Are you looking for an apprenticeship that offers varied and interesting opportunities whilst working for a Global organisation? Smiths Detection is a global leader in threat detection and screening technologies and right now we have an exciting opportunity to earn as you learn and provide a real-world introduction to kickstart your career as a Field Service Technician. Based in the West of Central London. We are aiming for a February start.
Ideal candidate will have a flexible approach and positive attitude. The requirement is to offer progression while you will have exposure to all Engineering and Operational functions within the business, including:
· Technical support to other departments e.g. Operations, TP&D, Sales and Programmes
· Work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality, accuracy and timely delivery of the work undertaken.
· Support the development and maintenance of Explosive Trace Detection, X-ray, CT and Archway Metal Detector equipment
The apprenticeship programme will include:
Level 3 in Advanced Engineering Manufacturing
1 day a week college work
The apprenticeship is a 42 month programme
Minimum Entry Requirements
5 GCSE or equivalent at grade 4-9
Level 2 in Maths and English
Duties and Responsibilities
Your duties will include, but not limited to the following:
•Obtaining, checking and using the appropriate documentation (such as job instructions, drawings, quality control documentation)
•Working safely at all times, complying with health, safety and environmental legislation, regulations and organizational requirements
•Ensure that all work is performed within the requirements of the relevant statutory legislation.
•Planning and where applicable obtaining all the resources required to undertake the work activity.
•Undertaking the work activity using the correct processes, procedures and equipment.
•Make a technical contribution to either design, development, quality assurance, manufacture, installation, commissioning, decommissioning, operation or maintenance of Explosive Trace Detection, X-ray, CT or AMD products, equipment, systems, processes or services.
•Carrying out the required checks (such as quality, compliance or testing) using the correct procedures, processes and/or equipment
•Dealing promptly and effectively with engineering/manufacturing problems within the limits of their responsibility using approved diagnostic methods and techniques and report those which cannot be resolved to the appropriate personnel.
•Completing any required documentation using the defined recording systems at the appropriate stages of the work activity.
•Restoring the work area on completion of the activity and where applicable return any resources and consumables to the appropriate location
•Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills in communication both technical and non-technical information with other team members within Service and other departments.
•Manage own time and work with a high degree of autonomy.
•Have a commitment to continued professional development.
• You must be 18 years old before Jan 2024. The position is subject to satisfactory background checks and/or National Security Vetting
• A passion for technology with an interest in field service
• Energetic and determined
• Developing verbal and written communication and people management skills.
• Good problem-solving skills.
• Is punctual and demonstrates ability to meet own commitments
• Understands and acknowledges requirements – asks when uncertain
• Appreciation and awareness of health and safety requirements for engineering and operation environments and lone working.
• Ability to communicate with peers.
• Good attention to detail, highly organised.
• Ability to work with general instructions on routine work and with detailed guidance on new assignments.
• Fluent in written communications and able to articulate complex issues
• Shows interest in self development and willingness to learn new skills
• Ability to troubleshoot non-complex problems
• Demonstrates a basic knowledge of commercial awareness
To find out more about life at Smiths Detection check out our LinkedIn (17) Smiths Detection: My Company | LinkedIn
Join us for a great career and competitive compensation & benefits whilst keeping the world a safer place.
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity. We have several employee-led Employee Resources Groups (women@work, Black Employees Network, Veterans, Pride Network) providing support, enhancing career development, and contributing to personal development in the work environment and beyond.
At no time during the hiring process will Smiths Detection, Smiths Group, nor any of our recruitment partners ever request payment to enable participation – including, but not limited to, interviews or testing. Avoid fraudulent requests by applying jobs directly through our career’s website (www.smithsdetection.com/careers)or LinkedIn.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this Apprentice Field Service Engineer job in Heathrow Terminal 1, Hounslow, UK externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally