Job Description Summary
This GE Aviation Systems Apprenticeship is an IET Approved Scheme for people with passion for technology, dedication to technical excellence and who strive for continued development. The programme is an alternative to full-time University, and you will study for an Engineering Bachelor’s (Hons) Degree in Electronic and Computer Engineering, with all fees paid, whilst gaining work experience on live Avionics projects and accelerating your career through challenging opportunities and Continuous Professional Development.
GE Aviation is a world-leading provider of commercial, military and business and general aviation jet and turboprop engines and components, along with avionics, electricalpowerand mechanical systems for aircraft. At GE Aviation, we invent the future of flight, lift people up, and bring them home safely. Whether we’re manufacturing components for our GE9X engines, driving innovation in fuel and noise reduction, or unlocking new opportunities to grow and deliver more productivity, the GE Aviation teams are dedicated to moving the aerospace industry forward.
If you join us, you’ll find yourself in a dynamic environment where our ongoing, substantial investment in research and development keeps us looking ahead. At GE Aviation, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Here you’ll work collaboratively and cross-functionally with the highest calibre talent, utilizing cutting-edge technology and processes. If you’re passionate about generating advances in aviation to solve some of the world’s toughest problems and are looking for a career rich with challenges and unlimited opportunities for growth and advancement, then join GE Aviation as we rise to the challenge of building a world that works.
With over 1,600 employees, GE Aviation Cheltenham is one of the largest GE Aviation sites outside the USA and a major contributor to the local economy.
Our heritagedates back to1940 yet our technology is cutting-edge. Located in the heart of Gloucestershire, GE Aviation Cheltenham focuses on the design, development and manufacture of state-of-the-art aircraft power distribution and avionics systems for the global aviation industry. Our customers include all major aerospace manufacturers – covering commercial, business jet and military applications. The scale and complexity of engineering projects at GE Aviation Cheltenham offer our employees unique opportunities to work on major international projects, developing critical aircraft systems that will be relied on by many people for decades to come.
GE Aviation Cheltenham is actively committed to inclusivity and diversity. We regularly run science, technology, engineering & maths (STEM) programmes with local secondary schools, support the Cheltenham Science Festival and support the promotion of women in engineering. At GE Aviation, we strive to be an employer of choice by offering placements, apprenticeships, mentoring and staff development programmes that create a workplace where everyone can be themselves and achieve their full potential.
Innovation, a commitment to engineering excellence and leadership development places GE Aviation Cheltenham as a pioneering force in building the future of flight.
Are you looking for the opportunity to gain aBachelorsDegreeinElectronic & Computer Engineering, andhands-onengineeringexperience, whilst working in a dynamic and global organisation? Do you want to gain ahigher levelqualification, but aren’t sure iffull-timeuniversity is the right route for you? Are you interested in learning on the job, and putting your learning into practice in a real, global,engineeringenvironment? Do you have the potential to be a futureEngineer?
As an Engineering DegreeApprentice (EDA) you will be based within our 600+personEngineering department. Throughout your5-year apprenticeship, you will be supported through, and study, a Level 6Embedded Electronic Systems Design & Development EngineerApprenticeship, which is delivered in partnership with Universityof West of England (UWE).
You will be based at Cheltenham for the duration of your apprenticeship, with regular time out to attend university sessions, which are deliveredfrom Gloucestershire College Cheltenham Campus Y1-3 and from UWE, Bristol Y4-5. The scheme is rotational, offering you the opportunity to experience keyengineeringfunctions, and work on realengineeringprojects, with real responsibility,in placements that typically last for 6 months.
Spending time inSoftware, Electronic, Systems, Test and Sustainment projectsprovides you with the opportunity to build a strong network,apply your skills in different environmentsand become a well-rounded engineer with experience across the full engineering development lifecycle.
This exceptional Engineering Degree Apprentice Programme exposes you to all areas of a global organization, intent on solving some of the world’s largest problems, and you will have the opportunity to see first-hand how ideas come to life. The Engineering Degree Apprentice Programme is a fantastic opportunity to challenge yourself in an encouraging, supportive environment, whilst gaining hands-on experience of some of the most complex engineering challenges in the world today.
The programme consists of:
EMBEDDED ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER LEVEL 6 APPRENTICESHIP (YEARS 1 – 5)
• BEng (Hons) Degree in Electronic & Computer Engineering
• Application for Professional Registration as IET Engineering Technician (EngTech)
• 6-month rotations in Live Avionics engineering teams to gain skills and experience inSoftware, Electronics,Systems Engineering, Test and SustainmentdisciplinesYears 2 – 4
• Longer rotation, within a specific engineering discipline, to continue experience depth in Year 5
• Training to improve your Professional Development Skills, including collaboration and leadership skills, presentations and business insight
• Completion of the GE Team Development Award Scheme
• Support from Technical, Academic and Pastoral Mentors
• Numerous opportunities to participate in enrichment activities, local schools’ engagement, the GE Apprentice network and various external events such as the Cheltenham Science Festival, Imagineering Shows, Go4SET, Engineering Education Scheme and GirlsGetSET
• Opportunity to gain a Six Sigma Greenbelt Certification
Beyond Year 5:
• Opportunity to attend the Aviation Appreciation Course (Ground School & Flight Training)
• Application for Professional Registration as IET Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS PRINCIPAL ENGINEER LEVEL 7 APPRENTICESHIP (OPTIONAL IN YEARS 6 – 7)
• The option to continue to a bespoke MSc in Digital Electronics Systems Engineering, or PGDip in Engineering Management
• Progression towards Professional Registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the IET
On completion, you will have the skills and experience required to progress your career into one of our engineering functions, including:
• Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Test Systems andSustainmentallowing you the scope to grow your career in a variety of directions.
Visit our YouTube channel to learn more: https://www.youtube.com/user/GE
This posting is for our September 2022 Apprentice intake, and Assessment Centres will take place during January – April 2022. If you are successful in getting through the initial CV screening, you will be invited to record a video application. Successful candidates at the Video stage will be invited to a full day Assessment Centre at GE Aviation Systems in Cheltenham. All application invitations will be issued via email.
To be enrolled on the apprenticeship, candidates must have achieved:
•5 GCSE’s (including Maths and English, at grades C/4 or above)
You willalsoneed a minimum of 112 UCAS points via:
• Three A-Levels at grade BBC or above, one of which must be Maths atgrade B, plus another STEM-based subject such as Physics/Electronics/Computing or similar,or,
• BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering at grade DMM or above, or,
• Equivalent qualification with appropriate Maths content
You will also need to demonstrate:
• Commitment to Personal Development and Community Volunteering
• Dedication to a career in technology and a genuine passion for engineering
• Pro-activity,initiativeand enthusiasm
• A genuine interest in, and experience of, working with people
• An analytic and collaborative approach to problem-solving
• An awareness of the GE Aviation Systems Cheltenham business, including our products and customers
Additional consideration will be given if you are able to demonstrate:
• GE Work Experience and/or participation in one of our Educational Strategy schemes – GirlsGetSET, Cheltenham Science Festival,K’NexChallenge, Engineering Education Scheme, Imagineering, Go4SET, Industrial Cadets, etc.
Stage 1- Submit your application (4th October – 28th February 2022) However, if we receive sufficient applications we may close earlier.
Initial applications need to be submitted online via our application page. To apply, you will need:
2. Supporting statement
Your supporting statement should be no more than 500 words (approx.1 side of A4) and
should provide an original summary, created by you, of any relevant experiences or evidence that
outlines why you are the right candidate for this apprenticeship.
A CV and supporting statement must be submitted for your application to be considered or
Stage 2 – Video Interview
If you are successful at stage 1, you will be invited to complete a video interview. Instructions will be sent to you via the emailaddressyou used to submit your application.
Stage 3 – On site assessment centre
A mandatory on-site assessment centre must be attended to progress your application.
Candidates will be invited to attendan all-day Assessment Centre in either February,Marchor April 2022 – dates TBC.
Please ensure you are available to attendduring these monthsbefore applying. Candidates unable to attend assessment centre will be unable to complete the recruitment process.
Good luck with your application.
Start Date: Monday 12th September 2022
At GE Aviation we understand the importance of Total Reward. Our flexible benefits plan, called FlexChoice, gives you freedom,choiceand flexibility in the way you receive your benefits, as well as giving you the opportunity to make savings where possible.
As a new joiner to GE we are pleased to be able to offer you the following as default in your benefit fund, which you then can tailor to meet your individual needs;
Group income protection
Private medical cover
Holiday Hourly equivalent of 26 days, with flexible option to buy or sell
Right to Work
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, under the applicable UK immigration rules as may be in place from time to time, it may be that candidates who do not currently have the right to work in the UK may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified,experiencedand skilled candidate who does not require sponsorship is available to take up the post. For further information please visit the
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note thatin the event thatBPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance: BPSS
Relocation Assistance Provided: No
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally