Healthcare apprenticeships are a great way to get your foot in the door of the British healthcare industry. Whether you want to be a doctor, nurse, therapist, or something else entirely, there is an apprenticeship out there for you. In this article, we’ll be listing 7 apprenticeships in healthcare, what you should expect, and why they might be perfect for you!
- Nursing Apprenticeship: This apprenticeship is a great way to become a registered nurse in the UK. You will learn about patient care, nursing theory, and how to work within the NHS system. Nursing apprenticeships typically last from two to four years, though they can be longer or shorter depending on your personal needs. These are great if you want a more hands-on approach to healthcare and the ability to work with patients directly!
- Physiotherapy Assistant Apprenticeship: This hands-on apprenticeship in physiotherapy focuses more on patient care than theory. You will have the opportunity to learn about vital physiotherapy skills, patient communication, and how to work alongside doctors. These apprenticeships are typically one year long, but they can be longer or shorter depending on your personal needs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant Apprenticeship: This is a hands-on apprenticeship in occupational therapy in which you will learn about patient care and occupational therapy theory. Occupational therapists help people with disabilities to live as independently as possible, so this apprenticeship can be a great way to help others. These apprenticeships typically last one year.
- Pharmacy Technician Apprenticeship: This is a great way to become a pharmacy technician in the UK. You will learn how to prepare and dispense medication, handle patient information, and more. These apprenticeships typically last one year long, but they can be longer or shorter depending on your personal needs.
- Dental Nurse Apprenticeship: This is a great way to become a dental nurse in the UK. You will learn about dental equipment, how to provide patient care, and more. These apprenticeships typically last one year long, but they can be longer or shorter depending on your personal needs.
- Medical Laboratory Science Apprenticeship: This apprenticeship will teach you about the different types of tests used in medical laboratories and how to analyze and interpret the results. If you want to work in healthcare without having contact with patients, then this apprenticeship might be perfect for you! These apprenticeships typically last two years.
- Podiatry Apprenticeship: This apprenticeship will teach you about the care and treatment of feet, ankles, and toes. You’ll learn how to identify problems and provide treatments such as massage, strapping, and exercises. These apprenticeships typically last two years.
The Application Process
Due to the scale of the NHS (the predominant provider of healthcare apprenticeships), individual employers within the NHS will offer specific apprenticeships. To apply for an apprenticeship, you can directly contact the employer or fill out an online application via Employing an Apprentice. It’s important to research each apprenticeship thoroughly before applying to ensure that it would be a good fit for you.
Remote Apprenticeship Opportunities
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, some apprenticeships are now being offered remotely, which may increase the number of opportunities you can apply for. With fewer spatial limitations, this could mean it’s a better time than ever to apply for a healthcare apprenticeship in the UK!
In this article, we’ve listed 7 of the best healthcare apprenticeship opportunities in the UK. We hope that this list will help you in your search for the perfect apprenticeship! For live apprenticeship opportunities, take a look at our specialist jobs board!