How to Get a Landscaping Apprenticeship

Written by Steven Marwick
employinganapperntice

A Landscaping apprenticeship can be a great choice for those who enjoy manual outdoor work and aren’t afraid to get a bit wet from time to time. The British summers are never the most reliable but the chance to be outside in the fresh air is always to be welcomed. 

If you suffer badly from hay fever, this may be a slight drawback but some good anti-histamines should see you alright. If you are interested in landscaping apprenticeships and believe your career path lies along this road, look no further as we explain how to find your ideal apprenticeship

Horticulture Apprenticeship vs Landscaping Apprenticeship 

The apprenticeships in this area are sometimes referred to as horticulture apprenticeships but they mean the same thing in the context of the apprenticeship, and you will learn the same things in the study section of the apprenticeship. 

Depending on the apprenticeship level that you go for, there are three different relevant apprenticeships that may interest you. 

Level 2 – Horticulture or Landscape Operative

This is an intermediate or “Level 2” apprenticeship for those who are looking for their first qualification since leaving school. They are the equivalent of 5 GCSEs at A-C grade or 9 to 4 on the new scale. 

Level 2 apprenticeships are the most popular apprenticeship level as they provide a foot in the door with organisations which can go on to offer full-time jobs after the apprenticeship has been successfully completed. 

This apprenticeship will allow you to take on an entry-level position in your chosen career or may even allow you to subsequently take on a more advanced apprenticeship at a later date if you should decide to do so. 

Although this is an entry-level position, that isn’t to say that the job will be easy or a skive and it is important that you apply yourself and achieve the best outcome you possibly can. In addition to industry-specific skills, you will be taught a wide range of transferable skills that you will be able to bring with you to your next job too.

Level 3 – Landscape or Horticulture Supervisor

Categorised as an “advanced apprenticeship”, this “Level 3” course is the next tier up from Level 2 and allows for a more complex academic course with a higher level of academic achievement as the end result.

In terms of academic achievement, this apprenticeship is considered the equivalent of 2 good A-Level passes, a Btec or a Level 3 National Vocational Qualification. As an alternative to University, this can definitely surpass sitting inside a lecture theatre and having to stay inside on glorious days taking notes. 

A proportion of your apprenticeship will be off-the-job but it will only be 20% of your time. The other 80% will be spent accruing valuable industry experience. The beauty of apprenticeships is that you get paid for all of your time, whether in the classroom or, as is often the case with horticultural workers, literally in the field.

Level 6 – Agriculture or Horticulture Professional Adviser

Apprenticeships in Level 6 are “degree apprenticeships” and these are more advanced than the other levels mentioned so far. On completion of an apprenticeship at Level 6, you will qualify with an undergraduate degree, in exactly the same way you would have if you had gone to university. 

The difference with doing it this way is that you would have gained relevant industry experience along the way, been paid the whole time and you will also have avoided the tuition fee debt that will plague so many new graduates for much of their adult lives. 

In this context, and with the cost of living crisis already an issue, it makes sense to do a degree apprenticeship, particularly for people from less affluent socio-economic backgrounds. This levels the playing field somewhat and allows them to get the qualification that their academic abilities undoubtedly merit.

In terms of the role you will take on during the apprenticeship, this is a more advanced job than the others and you will be expected to be able to digest new information quickly and provide advice to local authorities or businesses on matters relating to landscaping, agriculture and horticulture. It is a challenging role and one that will be sure to bring out the best in you as you will have to put your problem-solving abilities to use. 

Applying for a Landscaping Apprenticeship

Many companies and local government structures need landscaping apprentices and it is fairly common to see them advertised. If you think you are ready to apply for an apprenticeship in this area, you should take a look at our dedicated apprenticeship jobs board

We have a wealth of information and support for people who are looking into starting an apprenticeship and you will find a lot of very useful information on our website Employing an Apprentice.

Share This Story!

Last Updated: Monday July 18 2022
Go to Top