There are many different types of construction apprenticeships on offer and at the moment, and some of these are specialisations such as bricklaying, plastering, flooring, joinery or scaffolding. There are a great many apprenticeship standards that mention some aspect of construction and there are a lot of excellent options to choose from.
What is a Construction Apprenticeship?
A construction apprenticeship is a chance to learn about how best to start off a career in the construction industry. There are many roles available and the apprenticeship standards range in terms of academic difficulty from a Level 2 intermediate apprenticeship, which is the lowest educational level and is open to most school leavers, all the way up to site management roles at Level 7, which is an undergraduate degree level apprenticeship.
What are the Benefits of a Construction Apprenticeship?
A construction apprenticeship will give you the opportunity to learn on-site with a construction company and understand how things work in the industry first-hand. You will be able to earn as you learn and this is a popular feature for many apprentices. The ability to do this means that you can gain a qualification while still earning money.
There is also the additional benefit that there is a skills gap in the UK at the moment and construction businesses are crying out for keen young people to come and enter the industry. There has never been a better time for ambitious young apprentices to make their mark and to make a name for themselves.
What does a Construction Apprenticeship Involve?
A construction apprenticeship will be made up of two parts, the on the job training where you learn the practical side of things and the off the job training where you learn about things like health and safety regulations. Both sides are important and both are paid, with the on the job training taking up 80% of your time and the off the job training taking up the remaining 20%.
Are you Suited to a Construction Apprenticeship?
One of the major factors to consider when applying for a construction apprenticeship is whether you are emotionally mature enough for a role which has such serious health and safety implications for yourself and your colleagues. Are you prepared to take the job seriously and, despite being able to have a laugh and get on well with others, be able to pay attention and take great care that the work you do is always keeping others safe from harm.
Apply for a Construction Apprenticeship in the UK
If, after reading the reasons to start an apprenticeship, you have decided which of the many aspects of construction that you would like to apply for, you should use a dedicated apprenticeship jobs board and take a look at what is available in your local area.