If fashion is your passion you should look at the apprenticeships that are available and try to determine if you are a good fit for any of them. Fashion is an incredibly competitive field but an apprenticeship can give you the chance to get involved and can open some doors to your continued participation.
What is a Fashion Apprenticeship?
A fashion apprenticeship can focus on one of several different roles within the industry including Fashion Studio Assistant, Fashion and Textiles Pattern Cutter and a Fashion and Textiles Product Technologist. All of these roles provide different challenges within the fashion industry and they all focus on different aspects of the experience.
What are the Benefits of a Fashion Apprenticeship?
Taking part in a fashion apprenticeship means that you will be able to build your network of contacts in this area for when you wish to strike out on your own and excite the world with your creations. You will be able to develop your skills and ideas under the tutelage of talented boutique fashion houses and hone your designs and skills in putting together fabrics and patterns and working them into something new.
What Does a Fashion Apprenticeship Involve?
As with all UK apprenticeships, a fashion apprenticeship will be 80% on-the-job training with your mentor and the other 20% will be spent in off-the-job training which will account for the academic portion of your apprenticeship. Once the rest of your apprenticeship is finished, you will undertake the End Point Assessment, which will determine whether you pass the apprenticeship.
Am I Suitable for a Fashion Apprenticeship?
Fashion can be a high stress environment and cooking up new designs can feel a bit akin to being in Gordon Ramsay’s kitchen so you must have a calm and even temperament in order to succeed at the apprentice stage. You must be diligent and hard-working, and have an excellent eye for detail as well as a strong creative flair.
Apply for a Fashion Apprenticeship Today
If you have read the above and want to apply for a fashion apprenticeship, you can find one that is suitable for you by visiting our dedicated apprenticeship jobs board. You may also want to read reasons to start an apprenticeship and who can start an apprenticeship so that you are starting with the best possible amount of information at your fingertips for decision making on this subject.